Our Research > VHA Research Fellowship Program > Past Fellowship Winners
CLUTTER & HOARDING SUPPORT THERAPY - DURHAM
Durham Hoarding Support Services (DHSS)
Our focus is to help individuals with hoarding behaviour remain housed and safe. We provide a combination of in-home sorting/organizing sessions and counselling to help reduce the amount of items in the home using a harm reduction approach. We work with our clients to choose their own goals and incorporate their personal motivations for change. Our program lasts approximately 4-6 months and we aim to see our client’s on a weekly basis.
HOW WE HELP
We help by:
- Providing counselling and hands-on de-cluttering sessions
- Teaching life skills such as coping strategies, organization and problem solving
- Helping clients think about their belongings differently
- Increasing home safety and housing stability
- Building client’s support network and making appropriate community referrals
- Developing a maintenance plan to assist with independent de-cluttering
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Our program is funded by the Region of Durham; therefore, the DHSS program is FREE for clients who are eligible.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I WOULD BE A GOOD FIT FOR THIS PROGRAM?
Please answer the following questions with YES or NO:
- Do you have trouble discarding (or recycling, selling, giving away) things that most other people would get rid of?
- Because of the clutter or number of possessions, is it difficult to use your living spaces and surfaces in your home?
- Do you buy items or acquire free things that you do not need or have enough space for?
- Does your hoarding, saving, acquisitions, and clutter affect your daily functioning?
If you’ve answered YES to most of these questions, DHSS may be able to help.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE SERVICES?
If you are interested in the DHSS program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Living in the Durham Region
- Meet low income criteria (listed on our referral form)
- Be over the age of 18
- Be physically and mentally prepared to engage in the Hoarding Support Program
- Consent to service
- Willing to let go of items and ready to do the work
Members of the community looking to receive services or get more information, please call: 1-888-314-6622 ext. 4218.