VHA Home HealthCare (VHA) is always looking for ways to make sure we are delivering the highest quality care to our clients and families. We have a number of initiatives to support these efforts.
Client and Family-Centred Care is an approach to care that focuses on the whole person as a unique individual and not just on their illness or disease. It allows for health care providers to come to know and understand the person’s life story, experience of health, the role of family in the person’s life, and the role they may play in supporting the person to achieve health. – Registered Nurses of Ontario, 2015.
Foundational Values and Beliefs
VHA’s client and family-centred care is driven by the following foundational values and beliefs that guide the work of our dedicated team of care providers:
- Human dignity
- Experts in their own life
- Client goals co-ordinate care
- Consistency & continuity
- Universal access & responsiveness
All VHA staff and service providers are required to apply the following core processes of client and family-centred care:
- Identifying concerns and needs
- Making decisions
- Caring and service
- Evaluating outcomes
VHA wants to engage clients and caregivers in a meaningful way so that we're not just practicing Client and Family-Centred Care, but creating care that's driven by what clients and their families want.
Changing the Conversation
Changing the Conversation is a flexible approach to care. It encourages our staff and service providers to ask questions that trigger conversation to make sure we meet your needs each visit.
Client Bill of Rights
As a VHA client, you have the right to...
- Be treated with courtesy and respect and have your culture and lifestyle choices respected
- Understand the service(s) you will receive and any associated risks
- Accept or refuse our services
- Receive safe and reliable services that maximize your independence
- Play an active role in directing your care and setting your goals
- Have your information kept confidential
- Have a friend, family member or other important person present during service or at any meeting with VHA or the VHA provider
- Get information about VHA Home HealthCare’s complaint process and contact VHA with any concerns/complaints
- Have questions answered promptly
- Know the date of your next appointment in advance
- Be informed of any possible costs (e.g., equipment purchase)
VHA provides a Welcome Booklet to all of our new clients and families to introduce our services and to provide information about our care. Access VHA’s Welcome Booklet (Download PDF).