Frequently Asked Questions from Parents/Caregivers of Children with Complex Medical Needs
Children under the age of 18 who are technology dependent and/or users of high intensity care.
The Children with Complex Medical Needs Steering Committee at VHA Home HealthCare guides the work we do surrounding the care of children with medical complexities. This specialty population is a high priority for the organization. Our aim is to advance integrated and innovative models of care to improve the service delivery for medically complex children and parents, families, and caregivers, while continuing to support frontline workers.
The Committee's vision is that clients and their caregivers will receive holistic, proactive, timely and continuous care and support when they are in our care through the following:
- Support families and lessen caregiver burdens
- Respect choices families make
- Support the need for additional knowledge and system navigation
- Enhance quality of life, dignity, comfort and security
- Manage pain and symptoms
The purpose of the VHA Children with Complex Medical Needs Steering Committee is to improve client and family experiences in the community. The Committee serves in an advisory capacity, making recommendations on matters that impact the care and experience of clients and caregivers in this special population at VHA.
The Committee brings together individuals with experience providing and receiving care at VHA:
- To help VHA co-create and co-design a client-centred medically-complex paediatric program
- To be a collaborative, positive force for the enhancement of high-quality paediatric care