How to take care of yourself emotionally
Emotional health and status is an important part of overall health for everyone. Good emotional health keeps us ready to take on challenges and be in control of our lives, both physically and psychologically. Here’s more on how to take care of yourself emotionally.
What is emotional distress?
Stress is a normal reaction to the pressures of everyday life. Worry, fear, anger, sadness and other emotions are also all normal emotional responses. However, if the stress that underlies these emotions interfere with your ability to do the things and leave you feeling overwhelmed, you may be experiencing emotional distress.
Emotional distress may occur when someone is feeling alone, depressed or anxious. You could be going through changes in your life; experiencing grief or loss; you or a loved one may have been diagnosed with a chronic disease or terminal illness. When you are in emotional distress you may experience poor self-care.
What are ways I can take care of myself?
- Know your emotions
- Know when to ask for help
- Practice relaxation methods
- Work on establishing healthy life balance
- Create a healthy support system with friends and family
What if I need professional help?
- Speak with your family doctor who may be able to refer you to a health care provider such as a counselor, therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist
- Look for community resources that may be targeted to you in your area
You may also like: