Durham Hoarding Support Services
How we can help
- Providing counselling and hands-on decluttering sessions
- Teaching life skills such as coping strategies, organization and problem solving
- Helping clients think about their belongings differently
- Increasing home safety and housing stability
- Building client’s support network and making appropriate community referrals
- Developing a maintenance plan to assist with independent decluttering
How much does it cost?
Our program is funded by the Region of Durham; therefore, the DHSS program is FREE for clients who are eligible.
How do I know if I would be a good fit for the program?
Please answer the following questions with YES or NO:
- Do you have trouble discarding (or recycling, selling, giving away) things that most other people would get rid of?
- Because of the clutter or number of possessions, is it difficult to use your living spaces or surfaces in your home?
- Do you buy items or acquire free things that you do not need or have enough space for?
- Does your hoarding, saving, acquisitions, or clutter affect your daily functioning?
If you answered YES to most of these questions, DHSS may be able to help.
Who is eligible to receive services?
If you are interested in the DHSS program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Living in Durham Region
- Meet low income criteria (listed on our referral form below)
- Be over the age of 18
- Be physically and mentally prepared to engage in the Hoarding Support Program
- Consent to service
- Willing to let go of items and be ready to do the work
Members of the community looking to receive services or get more information, please call: 1-888-314-6622 ext. 4218.